Do you care about your body and want to stay as healthy as possible? Are you an athlete that needs to stay in peak shape to compete at the highest level? Do you want to avoid costly medical treatment down the road? Elign Health Centre has something for you!
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you’re in the same boat as millions of people across North America; people who don’t suffer from back pain and would like to keep it that way. Roughly 80% of people suffer from back pain and many have to resort to chiropractic care, physical therapy, acupuncture, or other alternative pain relief treatments. Although these methods are extremely effective and should be used even before you’re in pain, you can avoid the need for weekly appointments if you do the right things for your body when you need to. Everyone leads a busy life filled with work, responsibilities, hanging out with friends, and doing what they love and sometimes it’s hard to find the time to care for your body. However, there are a few simple but powerful things you can do to reduce your risk of injury and a life restricted by pain.
Abdominal exercise to prevent back pain
An effective plank:
- Hold your elbows under the shoulders and place the wrists in line with the elbows
- Push your body up toward your upper back and hold your chin close to your neck
- Clench your abdominals, gluteal, and thigh muscles simultaneously while breathing normally
- You will want to hold the plank for at least 20-30 seconds then rest for around 1 minute and repeat 3-5 times
A couple of yoga poses to prevent back pain
- Start on your hands and knees while imagining that there is a glass of water on your shoulder blades and another one on your lower back.
- Reach your right arm forward and your left leg straight back behind you
- Hold the position for 30-60 seconds before returning to the start and switching sides.
- Repeat 3-5 times on each side
- Sit up straight and tall with your feet on the ground
- Keep your back straight while hinging back and lifting your legs off the ground to a 45-degree angle
- Clenching the abdominals and strengthening the lower back, hold this position for between 5-8 breaths
- Return to the start and repeat another couple of times
A couple of exercises to strengthen your back:
The hip bridge:
- Lie on your back, feet flat and hip-width apart, arms relaxed, and knees bent.
- Squeeze your gluteal muscles, while lifting your hips, creating a straight line from the knees to the shoulders.
- You should hold for a very slow count of two while breathing normally
- You should work toward 10-12 repetitions
- Rest your hands on your hips with your abdominals gently clenched
- Take a big step forward with your right foot and lower until your knee is at a 90-degree angle
- Push back to the starting position without pause
- Repeat between 8 and 12 times before switching to the other leg
These are all exercises that don’t take up much time and can be done in the comfort of your own home. If you have any questions or would like some tips and tricks on how to prevent back pain, consult your local chiropractor or physical therapist!